Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Independent Safeguard Authority - Forced Registration for Social Workers in UK  (Read 6411 times)

No Bert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SWIP - Social Work Internætional Platform

When i read my newspaper lately, I could not believe what i read: In the UK every person that is working or even just helping neighbours with kids, needs to be registered from end 2010/start 2011 on.

For a normal person it is embarrassing IMHO to be under a general suspicion to be a paedophile, and to be forced to register if I drive my neighbours kids along with my own ones to football training more than thrice a month (!; this is at least what the newspaper claimed).

It is even more problematic for professionals like social workers, IMO. A whole profession is under general suspicion to be paedophile - that is not, what it should be like in modern democracies. There have, of course, been cases, where social workers have miss-used the trust that was put in them and did cruel things to children - noone will doubt that. But OTOH i doubt, that a registration will stop these kind of people to go on - in fact, a regisration won't hinder them the slightest bit. Only "barred" persons are found guilty of a criminal offence when caught working or applying (!) for work with kids. They have to be caught before to be barred, though. Another question is the question of the criteria for a barring: who sets them, who watches all the registered people (more than 10 mio will have to register, as stated) etc. OTOH, there are many cases of abuse of elderly people as well - is there the next authority in plan already, where social workers will have to register as well?

Not to talk about the BIG question: What data will be generated? and Who will be able to access them? There were so many cases during the last months where (especially in the UK) secret data was publicly available on USB-devices or even printouts that were left in the railway or whatever.

I think, this is highly problematic and hopefully that won't cross the North Sea at any far future point.

What do others think? And could someone proof the statements of the newspaper? ty

Detailed information about the registration etc. you get at http://www.isa-gov.org.uk/
Newspaper article (German) to be found on http://www.fr-online.de/in_und_ausland/panorama/?em_cnt=2014129&
Information from BASW on http://www.basw.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=268&articleID=871

sashaosya

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

sounds strange...
an idea of licensing is making more sense than this, i think.
and i don't think it will help somehow actually solving the problem. ???

bakermargar

• View Profile
    • Force Factor

Haringey Councillor Liz Santry said: "We are truly sorry we did not do more to protect him."

She added that staff had gone through a "huge amount of anguish" since Baby P's death 15 months ago.

In a statement posted on the council's website, Ms Santry said: "It is a matter of the deepest sorrow that Baby P died.

"Our priority has to be and has always been to safeguard children in our borough and as an authority we were all devastated by the death of this child."

No Bert

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • SWIP - Social Work Internætional Platform

okay? so what do you actually want to tell us with this post? Thank you for explaining ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up